||by Jennifer Hernandez
Friday, October 2, 2015
When it comes to class, studying, and late night cramming sessions for exams, food is fuel. The right foods can give the necessary burst of energy that keeps you chugging along and improve studying techniques. Below is a list of essential food and snacks that can help weary students stay focused in and outside of the classroom.
- Fish: Fish has high concentrations of Omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids help individuals focus, retain information and study more efficiently. Fish with high levels of these beneficial oils include: salmon, trout and mackerel.
- Nuts: Nuts provide iron and oxygen for the brain and also contain fatty acids. As a result, this increases mental alertness and ability to recall material.
- Apples: The peel of the apple includes a powerful antioxidant called quercetin that enhances memory function. A daily apple and an effective study plan will help with those upcoming tests!
- Dark Chocolate: Dark chocolate increases blood flow to the brain, enhancing alertness and clarity as well as boosts memory. The darker the chocolate, the more benefits your brain will receive.
- Berries: Colorful berries such as blueberries, cherries, black currants, raspberries, cranberries, blackberries, gooseberries, and grapes have significant health effects directly related to brain function. Not only do these flavorful snacks reduce the level of toxins in the bloodstream, but they improve blood flow to the brain and enhance neural activity as well.
Different types of foods can help expand the mind to be more attentive and bring clarity when studying. Next time you have trouble focusing or staying alert, grab one of these snacks to reach the finish line.