Orientation and Mobility Certificate
An Orientation and Mobility Graduate Certification option for those who want to work in a professional setting assisting individuals who are blind/visually impaired reach their goal of becoming safe, efficient, independent travelers.
The University of Massachusetts Boston offers a Certification track for individuals who are interested in qualifying for certification as an Orientation and Mobility Specialist. For those individuals with existing qualifying academic credentials, a graduate certificate is an option offered by the UMass Boston Graduate College of Education and supported by the Northeast Regional Center for Vision Education (NERCVE) through the Institute for Community Inclusion. The program combines web-based course offerings with "face to face" curriculum features and locally based pre-practicum and practicum field experiences. Cooperatively established with federal, state, and private funding, the program is designed to both decrease students' on-campus commitment and increase field-based mentored activities within each of the six New England states. Based on continued funding, this program offers scholarship support for students who qualify.
Curriculum content is approved by the Association for the Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired (AERBVI). Students who complete the program of study qualify to sit for the international professional examination and resulting certification provided by the Academy for the Certification of Vision Rehabilitation and Education Professionals (ACVREP). Graduates of the program can expect to find employment opportunities in various settings, including state and federal agencies, and public and private schools. Individuals who would like to pursue "certification only" in Orientation and Mobility must have a minimum of a bachelor degree and complete a total of 28 credits. Teachers of Students with Visual Impairments may be eligible to complete the program by taking 19 to 25 credits.
- Commitment to student experience
- Flexibility and convenience
First rate faculty and advisors
Learn more about this program:
To receive more information and connect with the program manager, please complete the request form to the right.
Read more about the Orientation and Mobility Graduate Certificate.
Please contact the program advisor for information on tuition and fees.
The Orientation and Mobility Certificate is fully accredited by ACVREP, Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation and Education Professionals. The University of Massachusetts is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).
Did you know?
University of Massachusetts has earned several awards for its distance learning programs, faculty and technology including:
- University of Massachusetts Lowell’s B.S. in Information Technology Ranked Among Top Affordable Online IT Degrees by Get Educated in 2011
- UMass Ranked Among Top 10 Best Colleges in Online Education in Communication & Public Relations Degrees, 2011 by The Best Colleges
- UMass ranks 19th highest-rated university in the world by the Times of London.
- UMass ranked 56th in the Times of London's Top 200
- UMassOnline, UMass Boston President's Special Achievement Award, Valerie C. Haven, Sloan-C 2010 Awards
- University of Massachusetts Ranked Among Top 28 Best Value in Online Education for Human Services & Psychology Professionals, 2009 by Get Educated
- Ranked Top 10 Online Degrees Colleges- September 2009 (Online Degree Reviews.com)
- UMassOnline Awarded Public Sector of the Year by Mass Technology Leadership Council , 2008
- Most Outstanding Online Teaching and Learning Program, UMass Lowell's Online Graduate Behavioral Intervention in Autism Program, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- 'Excellence in Online Teaching' Award, Dr. Jeannette E. Riley, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- 21st Century Best Practices Award, United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA)
- Program of Excellence, University Continuing Education Association (UCEA)-Journalism Certificate
- Excellence in Faculty Development, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Programming, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Teaching, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- UMass Amherst Isenberg MBA, Top 10 national rankings, #4 Best Professors (2005, 2006, 2007 Princeton Review: Best Business Schools rankings)
- 4th in Primary Care Education, U.S. World Reports
- Excellence in Distance Teaching Education - United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA)
Admission is competitive - Apply early! Here's how…
Admission criteria include:
1. Graduate Application: Apply Online
2. A personal interview with the program faculty.
3. A statement of interests and intent.
4. Three letters of recommendation from former teachers familiar with the applicant's recent academic work, or from employers familiar with his or her professional ability.
5. A score on the Miller Analogies Test, GRE, or MTEL(Communication and Literacy). Please note: A test score is not required if the applicant holds an advanced degree from a U.S. university.
- About Us
- Distance Learning
- Student Services
- Student Login