You are hereHome ›
RN to BS (Boston)
The UMass Boston Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing for RNs program maximizes accessibility and convenience for highly motivated, independent professionals. There is, however, a requirement that students attend a residential orientation prior to the commencement of the online nursing classes.
The Nursing course portion of the program operates on a cohort model, whereby a group of students completes the same program of study over five semesters.
The six-credit nursing courses are taught online in the Summer, Fall and Spring sessions. The twenty credits of non-nursing general education and elective courses may be satisfied through College of Advancing and Professional Studies (UC) at UMass Boston with online courses (if available), in a traditional course at UMass Boston, or (with prior approval from the College of Nursing and Health Sciences) at another accredited college or university.
- Student focused
- Take less time and money, without the sacrifice of quality
Learn more about this program:
To receive more information and connect with the program manager, please click on inquire now to the right.
Click here for more information on the UMass Boston Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing for RNs.
Registration is administered through College of Advancing and Professional Studies at UMass Boston. Please see Fee Schedule below.
|Type of Fee||Amount|
|Fee per credit||$340|
|Late Reg. Fee per semester*||$25|
|Returned Check Fee per semester**||$25|
|Total for course***||$1020 (340x3 credits = 1020)|
Click here to browse our course listings.
*applicable when you register after deadline; non-refundable unless course has been cancelled
** applicable when checks returned unpaid
*** Courses can vary from one to six credits; this total represents a standard 3 credit course
The UMass Boston online Bachelor of Science in Nursing for RN Program is fully accredited by The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) of American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN), and is approved by the Board of Registration in Nursing, Commonwealth of Massachusetts (BORN). The University of Massachusetts is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).
Did you know?
University of Massachusetts has earned several awards for its distance learning programs, faculty and technology including:
- University of Massachusetts Lowell’s B.S. in Information Technology Ranked Among Top Affordable Online IT Degrees by Get Educated in 2011
- UMass Ranked Among Top 10 Best Colleges in Online Education in Communication & Public Relations Degrees, 2011 by The Best Colleges
- UMass Ranked 2nd Among Top 10 Online Bachelor of Business Administration Degrees, 2011 by The Best Colleges
- UMass ranks 19th highest-rated university in the world by the Times of London.
- UMass ranked 56th in the Times of London's Top 200
- UMassOnline, UMass Boston President's Special Achievement Award, Valerie C. Haven, Sloan-C 2010 Awards
- University of Massachusetts Ranked Among Top 28 Best Value in Online Education for Human Services & Psychology Professionals, 2009 by Get Educated
- Ranked Top 10 Online Degrees Colleges- September 2009 (Online Degree Reviews.com)
- UMassOnline Awarded Public Sector of the Year by Mass Technology Leadership Council , 2008
- Most Outstanding Online Teaching and Learning Program, UMass Lowell's Online Graduate Behavioral Intervention in Autism Program, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- 'Excellence in Online Teaching' Award, Dr. Jeannette E. Riley, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- 21st Century Best Practices Award, United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA)
- Program of Excellence, University Continuing Education Association (UCEA)-Journalism Certificate
- Excellence in Faculty Development, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Programming, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Teaching, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- UMass Amherst Isenberg MBA, Top 10 national rankings, #4 Best Professors (2005, 2006, 2007 Princeton Review: Best Business Schools rankings)
- 4th in Primary Care Education, U.S. World Reports
- Excellence in Distan
Applications for admission are reviewed twice a year for the Spring and Fall semesters. The application deadlines are:
- July 1 for the Fall semester (September start date), and
- November 1 for the Spring semester (January start date).
The admission criteria for the Online RN-BS Program are:
- completion of an accredited Associate Degree in Nursing program,
- current, valid license to practice as a Registered Nurse within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, i.e., you must have passed your board exams BEFORE applying and your license must be active and in good standing,
- combined GPA of 2.75 or above* for all submitted transcripts,
- current citizen or permanent resident of the United States of America with work authorization and residency in the United States**, and
- ability to perform 84-hour, in-person clinical internship within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts during the fourth semester of the program.
* If your combined GPA is lower than a 2.75, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to discuss your options to be considered for admission.
** At this time, the Online RN-BS Program cannot accept students who have an F1 Visa status or students who currently reside in a country outside of the United States of America.
Click here for more information on how to apply to the program.
Availability of financial aid varies depending on matriculation and course status. Please check with your program manager or advisor to determine your eligibility. Generally, if you are matriculated in a degree program and are enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits each semester, you may qualify for financial aid. Please review our Financial Aid Checklist below.
- Fill out the FAFSA form at www.fafsa.ed.gov. It is important to list the University of Massachusetts Boston school code number 002222.
- Next, download your required Financial Aid Forms here.
- Check your financial aid status using WISER.
- For more information or if you have further questions, please contact Financial Aid Services at 617.287.6300 or at email@example.com
For more information or if you have further questions, please contact Financial Aid Services at 617.287.6300 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "Excellent program! Definitely beneficial to those who want a quality education from the comfort of home when life doesn't allow for a classroom experience. Thanks Kathleen!"
- Daphne M. Hernandez, RN, C, BSN
- "Pursuing UMass Boston's RN to BSN program was one of the best decisions I've ever made. As a working mother and wife, I found this program to be highly supportive and intellectually stimulating. The faculty is supportive, motivating, and inspiring. I am a proud graduate of UMass Boston."
- Tricia Carey, RN, BSN
- "The RN-BS Program was fabulous! It allowed me to stay in my position as a school nurse. Further, the staff was always available, and even though I am a good writer I became an even better one, particularly in regards to research and utilizing the APA format, which I thought that I had down cold."
- Maureen O. Weeks, RN, BSN, M.ED
- The UMass Boston RN-BSN Program was a convenient, well structured, great paced way for nurses already in practice to further their education while maintaining a full time career. With a BSN I can now apply to a CRNA program to keep advancing my practice."
- John Gianitsis, RN, BSN
- "Going back to school to get my BSN has been a goal of mine for years, my own fears of returning to the class room kept me from that goal. The On-line RN-BS program offered at UMass Boston made going back to school achievable for me. Attending class online took so much of the stress out of returning to school, balancing work, home life and school is much easier when you can attend class in slippers in your living room."
- Janet Gorman, RN, BSN, Director of Medical Nursing of Boston Medical Center
- About Us
- Distance Learning
- Student Services
- Student Login