The Online Master's Degree in Instructional Design offers comprehensive training in the design and delivery of adult education with the Online Master of Education Degree in Instructional Design from UMass Boston. Designed for professionals engaged in the education, training and development of adult learners in the workplace, the Online Master's Degree in Instructional Design provides a dynamic learning process and vibrant curriculum that meets the current educational demands of the marketplace.
Course study focuses on the instructional design process, on adult learning theory, and on communication, media, technology, and learning about organizations. Emphasis is given to the students' application and evaluation of their learning. The Online Master's Degree in Instructional Design consists of 12 courses, all but two of which are available online. To meet the needs of those students outside of the Boston area, these two courses are also offered in an accelerated summer format in Boston.
- Building a foundation and conceptual framework for the instructional design process;
- Developing instructional strategies and skills to facilitate adult learning;
- Using educational media and technology to enhance learning
Learn more about this program:
To receive more information and connect with the program manager, please click on inquire now to the right.
Click here for more information on the Master of Education in Instructional Design Program.
RESIDENTS OF ALABAMA, ARKANSAS, MARYLAND, AND MINNESOTA:
The University of Massachusetts Boston is currently not accepting students for online study who reside in Alabama, Arkansas, Maryland, or Minnesota, due to regulations in those states. Please contact your state's Board of Education for details. Click here for information on distance education authorization in other states.
Registration is administered through College of Advancing and Professional Studies at UMass Boston. Payment is due upon registration. Please see Fee Schedule below.
|Type of Fee||Amount|
|Fee per credit||$520|
|Late Reg. Fee per semester*||$25|
|Returned Check Fee per semester**||$28|
|Total for course***||$1560 (520 x 3 credits = 1560)|
Click here to browse our course listings.
*applicable when you register after deadline; non-refundable unless course has been cancelled
** applicable when checks returned unpaid
*** Courses can vary from one to six credits; this total represents a standard 3 credit course
The University of Massachusetts is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).
Did you know?
University of Massachusetts has earned several awards for its distance learning programs, faculty and technology including:
- University of Massachusetts Lowell's B.S. in Information Technology Ranked Among Top Affordable Online IT Degrees by Get Educated in 2011
- UMass Ranked Among Top 10 Best Colleges in Online Education in Communication & Public Relations Degrees, 2011 by The Best Colleges
- UMass ranks 19th highest-rated university in the world by the Times of London.
- UMass ranked 56th in the Times of London's Top 200
- UMassOnline, UMass Boston President's Special Achievement Award, Valerie C. Haven, Sloan-C 2010 Awards
- University of Massachusetts Ranked Among Top 28 Best Value in Online Education for Human Services & Psychology Professionals, 2009 by Get Educated
- Ranked Top 10 Online Degrees Colleges- September 2009 (Online Degree Reviews.com)
- UMassOnline Awarded Public Sector of the Year by Mass Technology Leadership Council , 2008
- Most Outstanding Online Teaching and Learning Program, UMass Lowell's Online Graduate Behavioral Intervention in Autism Program, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- 'Excellence in Online Teaching' Award, Dr. Jeannette E. Riley, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- 21st Century Best Practices Award, United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA)
- Program of Excellence, University Continuing Education Association (UCEA)-Journalism Certificate
- Excellence in Faculty Development, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Programming, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Teaching, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- UMass Amherst Isenberg MBA, Top 10 national rankings, #4 Best Professors (2005, 2006, 2007 Princeton Review: Best Business Schools rankings)
- 4th in Primary Care Education, U.S. World Reports
- Excellence in Distance Teaching Education
The Master's Program in Instructional Design invites applications from individuals with a variety of academic and experiential backgrounds who hold baccalaureate degrees from an accredited institution.
Admission is competitive - Apply early! Here's how…
Admission criteria include:
1. Graduate Application: Apply Online or Download application
2. A personal interview with the program faculty
3. A statement of interests and intent
4. Three letters of recommendation from former teachers familiar with the applicant's recent academic work, or from employers familiar with his or her professional ability
5. A score on the Miller Analogies Test (Please note: A test score is not required if the applicant holds an advanced degree from a U.S. university);
6. An updated resume.
Availability of financial aid varies depending on matriculation and course status. Please check with your program manager or advisor to determine your eligibility. Generally, if you are matriculated in a degree program and are enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits each semester, you may qualify for financial aid. Please review our Financial Aid Checklist below.
- Fill out the FAFSA form at www.fafsa.ed.gov. It is important to list the University of Massachusetts Boston school code number 002222.
- Next, download your required Financial Aid Forms here.
- Check your financial aid status using WISER.
- For more information or if you have further questions, please contact Financial Aid Services at 617.287.6300 or at email@example.com
For more information or if you have further questions, please contact Financial Aid Services at 617.287.6300 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.