Leadership Excellence Certificate
Designed for front-line and mid-level managers, the UMass Donahue Institute’s non-credit online Leadership Excellence Certificate combines cutting-edge leadership development curriculum with a highly interactive online learning environment that thoughtfully and respectfully demands participant engagement in building the practice of self-awareness, experimentation, and reflection required to become a stronger leader in any type of organization.
This nine-week, six-module, 36-training-hour certificate is fully online, keeping the schedules of full-time, busy professionals with multiple demands on their time in mind. In fact, there are no requirements for being online at a certain time—the course is fully asynchronous. However, expectation for participant engagement is high and activities often require a 24- or 48-hour turn around. The average weekly time commitment is four to six hours per week.
- 9 weeks to complete
- Fully online
- Fully asynchronous
- Requires 4-6 hours per week
- One-on-One instructor attention
Our next session will be in the Spring of 2015, exact dates to be determined. Please fill out the "request information" to join our mailing list. We will email registration information in late fall.
Learn more about this program:
For more information about the course, click here.
Tuition for the UMass Donahue Institute’s online Leadership Excellence Certificate is $1,750.00, which includes all materials fees. Massachusetts state employees receive a 50% tuition discount.
This course is also eligible for 3.6 Continuing Education Credits (CEUs) through the UMass Amherst’s Department of Continuing and Professional Education (CPE). Participants who want CEUs and the accompanying official UMass transcript will need to complete a CEU registration form and send $12 to CPE upon successful completion of the course.(All participants will receive a personalized certificate upon successful completion of the course independent of the CEU process.)
For more information on the course, please click here.
The UMass Donahue Institute also offers this curriculum as a customizable solution for organizations looking to engage a group of staff in this type of leadership development. To discuss this option further, please contact Kathryn Swaim, UMDI’s Senior Project Manager for Online Learning and Collaboration, at email@example.com.
The University of Massachusetts is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).
Did you know?
University of Massachusetts has earned several awards for its distance learning programs, faculty and technology including:
- University of Massachusetts Lowell’s B.S. in Information Technology Ranked Among Top Affordable Online IT Degrees by Get Educated in 2011
- UMass Ranked Among Top 10 Best Colleges in Online Education in Communication & Public Relations Degrees, 2011 by The Best Colleges
- UMass ranks 19th highest-rated university in the world by the Times of London.
- UMass ranked 56th in the Times of London's Top 200
- UMassOnline, UMass Boston President's Special Achievement Award, Valerie C. Haven, Sloan-C 2010 Awards
- University of Massachusetts Ranked Among Top 28 Best Value in Online Education for Human Services & Psychology Professionals, 2009 by Get Educated
- Ranked Top 10 Online Degrees Colleges- September 2009 (Online Degree Reviews.com)
- UMassOnline Awarded Public Sector of the Year by Mass Technology Leadership Council , 2008
- Most Outstanding Online Teaching and Learning Program, UMass Lowell's Online Graduate Behavioral Intervention in Autism Program, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- 'Excellence in Online Teaching' Award, Dr. Jeannette E. Riley, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- 21st Century Best Practices Award, United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA)
- Program of Excellence, University Continuing Education Association (UCEA)-Journalism Certificate
- Excellence in Faculty Development, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Programming, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Teaching, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- UMass Amherst Isenberg MBA, Top 10 national rankings, #4 Best Professors (2005, 2006, 2007 Princeton Review: Best Business Schools rankings)
- 4th in Primary Care Education, U.S. World Reports
- Excellence in Distance Teaching Education - United States Distance Learning Association
Using an "inside-out" approach to leadership development, participants spend the first three weeks of this nine-week course focused inward and the last six weeks focused outward, trying out new skills, approaches and concepts in their own professional work environments. The intensive and impactful learning and development participants experience in this course is propelled by a unique mix of one-on-one instructor attention and ongoing discussion, dialogue, and candor that is cultivated within each session's cohort.
For more details on this program, click here.
"I found the online Leadership Excellence Certificate through the University of Massachusetts Donahue Institute to be a highly effective, immediately applicable training for leaders. The class provided many tools that have already paid dividends for me. The instructor not only provided key instruction, but also served as an advisor and mentor to help address current issues. The inside-out approach taught in the class allows you to tailor the material to your specific background. The format of the on-line class is flexible allowing you to learn the material around your schedule. This class has exceeded my expectations and I highly recommend it for every leader." David M. Joyner, Regional Vice President, Beacon Communities, LLC
- "I've taken several leadership professional training classes, but this one by far was the best! The inside-out approach makes the program unique and a powerful learning experience. I took the class a year ago, and I've applied what I learned from class on the job every day. This class is invaluable and the instructor, Jeff is outstanding. " Som Seng-Tiarks, Interim Director of Marketing, UMassOnline
- About Us
- Distance Learning
- Student Services
- Student Login