Become a more effective, self-aware, and confident leader now, while developing a personalized action plan for continued leadership growth and accomplishment with the UMass Donahue Institute’s online Leadership Excellence Certificate experience.
UMDI combines cutting-edge leadership development curriculum with a highly interactive online learning environment. Our approach builds participant capacity in the practice of self-awareness, experimentation and reflection—practice required to become a strong leader in any type of organization.
- Eight weeks, 40-training hours (qualifies for 4.0 Continuing Education Credits)
- Fully online
- Small cohort size (<12)
- One-on-one instructor time, including two, 45-minute coaching calls
- Capstone project: personalized leadership action plan
The average weekly time commitment is about 5 hours per week.
Learn more about this program:
For more information about the course, click here.
RESIDENTS OF ALABAMA, ARKANSAS AND KANSAS:
The University of Massachusetts Amherst is presently not accepting applications or registrations for online courses, degrees or certificate programs from residents of Alabama, Arkansas and Kansas.
Tuition for the UMass Donahue Institute’s online Leadership Excellence Certificate is $2,000 which includes all materials fees. Massachusetts state employees receive a 50% tuition discount. This course is not eligible for financial aid or payment plans.
Participants are eligible for 4.0 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) through the UMass Amherst Department of Continuing and Professional Education upon successful completion of the course. CEUs, and their accompanying official UMass Amherst transcript, cost an extra $12 and must be registered for within 4 weeks of the end of the course through the UMass Amherst CPE office. (All participants receive a personalized certificate upon successful completion of the course independent of the CEU process.)
The University of Massachusetts is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).
Did you know?
University of Massachusetts has earned several awards for its distance learning programs, faculty and technology including:
- University of Massachusetts Lowell’s B.S. in Information Technology Ranked Among Top Affordable Online IT Degrees by Get Educated in 2011
- UMass Ranked Among Top 10 Best Colleges in Online Education in Communication & Public Relations Degrees, 2011 by The Best Colleges
- UMass ranks 19th highest-rated university in the world by the Times of London.
- UMass ranked 56th in the Times of London's Top 200
- UMassOnline, UMass Boston President's Special Achievement Award, Valerie C. Haven, Sloan-C 2010 Awards
- University of Massachusetts Ranked Among Top 28 Best Value in Online Education for Human Services & Psychology Professionals, 2009 by Get Educated
- Ranked Top 10 Online Degrees Colleges- September 2009 (Online Degree Reviews.com)
- UMassOnline Awarded Public Sector of the Year by Mass Technology Leadership Council , 2008
- Most Outstanding Online Teaching and Learning Program, UMass Lowell's Online Graduate Behavioral Intervention in Autism Program, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- 'Excellence in Online Teaching' Award, Dr. Jeannette E. Riley, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- 21st Century Best Practices Award, United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA)
- Program of Excellence, University Continuing Education Association (UCEA)-Journalism Certificate
- Excellence in Faculty Development, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Programming, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Teaching, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- UMass Amherst Isenberg MBA, Top 10 national rankings, #4 Best Professors (2005, 2006, 2007 Princeton Review: Best Business Schools rankings)
- 4th in Primary Care Education, U.S. World Reports
- Excellence in Distance Teaching Education - United States Distance Learning Association
This course is 8 weeks long, provides 40-training hours, and is eligible for 4 Continuing Education Credits. The program outline is as follows:
Part 1: Self-Knowledge for Leadership (Weeks 1, 2, 3)
- Week 1: Orientation, Everything DiSC Management Personal Assessment & Profile, 1st Coaching Call
- Week 2: DiSC in action: Understanding your strengths and areas for growth
- Week 3: Conflict Management, Coaching
Part 2: Reflection & Planning (Weeks 4 -5)
- Week 4: Personal Reflection Activities
- Week 5: First draft of Personal Leadership Action Plan
Part 3: Theory into Practice (Weeks 6, 7, 8)
- Week 6: Influence & Gaining Commitment
- Week 7: Employee Engagement, Coaching for Results
- Week 8: 2nd Coaching Call, Complete Personal Leadership Action Plan
"I found the online Leadership Excellence Certificate through the University of Massachusetts Donahue Institute to be a highly effective, immediately applicable training for leaders. The class provided many tools that have already paid dividends for me. The instructor not only provided key instruction, but also served as an advisor and mentor to help address current issues. The inside-out approach taught in the class allows you to tailor the material to your specific background. The format of the on-line class is flexible allowing you to learn the material around your schedule. This class has exceeded my expectations and I highly recommend it for every leader." David M. Joyner, Regional Vice President, Beacon Communities, LLC
- "I've taken several leadership professional training classes, but this one by far was the best! The inside-out approach makes the program unique and a powerful learning experience. I took the class a year ago, and I've applied what I learned from class on the job every day. This class is invaluable." Som Seng-Tiarks, Interim Director of Marketing, UMassOnline
Click here to register for the Summer 2015 Session.
July 6th through August 28th