The UMass Dartmouth's undergraduate Certificate in Accounting is a one-year (30-credit) certificate program for students who have already earned bachelor's degrees in other fields.
If you have a business degree:
- The accounting certificate program provides an opportunity to acquire the credentials for a career in accounting through advanced courses in the discipline.
- Once you complete this track, you will qualify to sit for the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam in Massachusetts as well as in many other states. You can use the 30 credits in the accounting certificate program—in conjunction with 120 credits awarded in the standard undergraduate degree program—to satisfy the 150-hour credit CPA requirement.
- The accounting certificate program also prepares you to take the Certified Management Accountant (CMA) exam.
If you have a non-business degree:
- The accounting certificate program provides an intensive introduction to the accounting discipline.
- If your professional goals include management responsibilities, you will find the accounting certificate particularly helpful for career development. Engineers as well as professionals in the healthcare and legal fields have chosen the accounting certificate as a way to enhance their managerial expertise.
- If your goal is to sit for the CPA, you can complete this certificate and then take several additional business courses to meet the CPA requirements.
Learn more about this program:
To receive more information and connect with the program manager, please click on inquire now to the right.
Click here for more information on the Certificate in Accounting.
ALABAMA, ARKANSAS, KANSAS, MARYLAND, and MINNESOTA RESIDENTS: UMass Dartmouth does not presently consider applications for online degree or certificate programs from applicants whose permanent residence is in Alabama, Arkansas, Kansas, Maryland or Minnesota because of the regulations resulting from legislation in these states. For details about regulations in your state that may affect your enrollment in an online program offered by another state, you may wish to consult your state's Department of Education and/or learn about efforts of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements at http://nc-sara.org/. If you are a resident of Alabama, Arkansas, Kansas, Maryland, or Minnesota, UMass Dartmouth welcomes your application to a face-to-face program only.
Registration is administered through University Extension at UMass Dartmouth. Students will be invoiced. Please see Fee Schedule below.
|Type of Fee||Amount|
|Technology Fee per course (Online Only)||$150|
|Library Access Fee||$18|
|Campus Center Fee (On Campus Only)||$15|
|Registration Fee (per semester)||$30|
|Total for a three credit course*||$1,245-$1,344|
Click here to browse our course listings.
* Courses can vary from one to six credits; this total represents a standard 3 credit course
The University of Massachusetts is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC). And the Charlton College of Business at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth is accredited by AACSB International.
Did you know?
University of Massachusetts has earned several awards for its distance learning programs, faculty and technology including:
- University of Massachusetts Lowell’s B.S. in Information Technology Ranked Among Top Affordable Online IT Degrees by Get Educated in 2011
- UMass Ranked Among Top 10 Best Colleges in Online Education in Communication & Public Relations Degrees, 2011 by The Best Colleges
- UMass ranks 19th highest-rated university in the world by the Times of London.
- UMass ranked 56th in the Times of London’s Top 200
- UMassOnline, UMass Boston President’s Special Achievement Award, Valerie C. Haven, Sloan-C 2010 Awards
- Ranked Top 10 Online Degrees Colleges- September 2009 (Online Degree Reviews.com)
- UMassOnline Awarded Public Sector of the Year by Mass Technology Leadership Council , 2008
- Most Outstanding Online Teaching and Learning Program, UMass Lowell’s Online Graduate Behavioral Intervention in Autism Program, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- ‘Excellence in Online Teaching’ Award, Dr. Jeannette E. Riley, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- 21st Century Best Practices Award, United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA)
- Program of Excellence, University Continuing Education Association (UCEA)-Journalism Certificate
- Excellence in Faculty Development, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Programming, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Teaching, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- UMass Amherst Isenberg MBA, Top 10 national rankings, #4 Best Professors (2005, 2006, 2007 Princeton Review: Best Business Schools rankings)
- 4th in Primary Care Education, U.S. World Reports
- Excellence in Distance Teaching Education - United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA)
Candidates must submit the required application materials and application fee to the University Extension. Applications are reviewed and judged on the following criteria:
1. Undergraduate degree: Official transcripts from all institutions of higher learning attended.
2. A personal statement (minimum 300 words) explaining the applicant's career goals and motivation for the degree.
3. Current Resume.
4. Candidates whose Bachelor’s degree was not earned in an approved English language country must submit either the TOEFL exam (minimum score of 72 internet-based or 533 paper-based) or IELTS exam (minimum band score of 6.0).
Availability of financial aid varies depending on matriculation and course status. Please check with your program manager or advisor to determine your eligibility. Generally, if you are matriculated in a degree program and are enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits each semester, you may qualify for financial aid.
Students who are admitted to the program should review our Financial Aid Checklist, and fill out the FAFSA form at www.fafsa.ed.gov. It is important to list the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth school code number 002210.
- Please renew your FAFSA form every year.
- When you register for classes, please contact University Extension - Online and Continuing Education at UMass Dartmouth at (508) 999-9202 to let them know you have applied/are applying for financial aid.
For more information or if you have further questions, please contact UMass Dartmouth Financial Aid Office at (508) 999-8632 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.