The MS in Accounting degree program provides students from all academic backgrounds with the knowledge to become tomorrow's leaders in this rapidly growing field. Working with internationally recognized faculty in accounting and auditing, students will learn to apply real-world solutions and practices through a progressive curriculum committed to team-based learning and hands-on problem solving. The knowledge you gain in the program will fulfill the educational requirements to become a licensed Certified Public Accountant (CPA) in Massachusetts.
The Isenberg School of Management’s program offers unique tracks based on your prior education. Students with a bachelor’s degree in accounting can apply to the professional track and complete the program with 30 credits, in as little as two semesters. Students without an accounting background can pursue the 33-45 credit transitions track which starts with foundation classes meant to provide the prerequisites necessary to be successful in the upper level core and elective classes in the program. Optional focus areas allow students to gain specialized knowledge and skills desired by firms. Students can choose from:
- Data Analytics
- Forensic Accounting
The MS in Accounting program offers maximum flexibility so you can tailor your schedule to fit your life. You will receive a world-class education at an affordable price. Students go to work for the top public accounting firms and companies worldwide, including EY, PwC, Deloitte, KPMG, RSM, Grant Thornton, BDO and many more. An Isenberg MS in Accounting graduate can expect an average starting salary of $67,682.
The Isenberg School of Management has received ongoing national recognition including:
- #12 Best Online MS in Accounting Program, (U.S. News & World Report, 2022)
- #25 Top 50 Master's Accounting Programs nationwide (Public Accounting Report, 2019)
- #4 Top Ranked Masters Accounting Programs by Region for the Northeast / Mid-Atlantic Region (Public Accounting Report, 2019)
Visit the UMass Amherst's Isenberg School of Management's website to learn more about earning your online Master of Science in Accounting.
Course registration for all Isenberg MSA courses is administered by UMass Amherst University Without Walls.
$850 per credit.
- Professional track (for students who have an undergraduate degree in accounting): 30 credits estimated at $25,500.
- Transitions track (for students with non-accounting background): 33-45 credits estimated at $28,050-$38,250.
- MS in Accounting students can take 1 or 2 MBA electives as part of the curriculum. The per credit tuition rate for MBA courses is $925.
- $507 one-time fee applied once accepted into the program
- $60 registration fee per semester
Isenberg School of Management is accredited by AACSB, the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. AACSB International accreditation is widely regarded as the highest level of accreditation for business schools. Isenberg is part of the one percent of the worlds' 13,000 business programs that have earned this recognition—the hallmark of excellence in management education.
Isenberg also has the distinction of having earned separate AACSB accreditation for our accounting department and programs – one of only 5 schools in New England. In fact, there are only 180 institutions in the world that hold AACSB accreditation in accounting.
The University of Massachusetts is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE).
The MS in Accounting program welcomes applicants from all academic backgrounds. Students without an accounting background should apply for the Transitions Track. Students on this track will complete necessary prerequisite courses before advancing to upper level core and elective courses. All applicants to the program must have earned an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Personal statement
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- Two letters of recommendation
- GMAT/GRE score (only required if requested by the program director)
- TOEFL score (if applicable)
Fall Start - Priority: June 1, Final: July 15
Spring Start - Priority: October 1, Final: November 15
Summer Start - Priority: February 1, Final: March 15
Graduate financial aid options are available for Isenberg Online MSBA students. For more information, please contact the Graduate Financial Aid Services at 413-577-0555 or
For more information, please visit the Isenberg website or contact us at:
Isenberg School of Management - UMass Amherst
Graduate Programs Office