Earn your Education Specialist Degree in Curriculum and Instruction with a focus on Education of Diverse Populations* from the UMass Lowell Graduate School of Education and open a world of new opportunities for your career.
The Ed. S. in Curriculum and Instruction with a focus on Education of Diverse Populations, is designed for practitioners who wish to increase their knowledge and skills necessary to develop a school culture which values diversity and promotes high expectations and achievement for all. Experienced teachers and administrators will benefit from this degree program.
*Previously known as the CAGS program; Ed.S. program title effective Spring 2011.
- First - Rate Faculty
- Commitment to the Student Experience
- Tradition of Leadership in Education
Learn more about this program:
To receive more information and connect with the program manager, please click on inquire now to the right.
Click here for more information on the UMass Lowell Ed.S. in Curriculum and Instruction - Education of Diverse Populations.
RESIDENTS OF ARKANSAS, KANSAS AND MINNESOTA
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is not presently accepting applications or registrations for online courses, degrees or certificate programs from residents of Arkansas, Kansas or Minnesota. Due to recent legislative changes the University of Massachusetts Lowell is not seeking state authorization to offer online programs in those states. State and federal laws require colleges and universities to receive state authorization to offer online programs in states other than their own. Current UML students that move their residence to one of these states should contact Catherine_Hamilton@uml.edu in Online and Continuing Education to determine their eligibility to continue their program of study.
New students register for courses using UMass Lowell's New Student Registration Form. Follow the instructions for registering included on the form. Current students register for their courses online by logging into the secure Student Information System (SIS).
Please see Fee Schedule below.
|Type of Fee||Amount|
|Fee per credit||$470|
|Registration Fee per semester||$30|
|Returned Check Fee per semester*||$30|
|Late Fee for Non Payment||$50|
|Total for course**||$1440 (470 x 3crds. = 1410 + 30 registration fee per sem.)|
For more information on the Master's Degree in Curriculum and Instruction, visit UMass Lowell's Division of Online and Continuing Education Program Information page or email UMass Lowell's Graduate School of Education at firstname.lastname@example.org
*Applicable when checks returned unpaid.
**Courses can vary from one to six credits; this total represents a standard 3 credit course.
For additional registration information, visit UMass Lowell's Division of Online and Continuing Education Website. Registration is administered through UMass Lowell's Registrar's Office. If you have questions regarding registration, please contact the Registrar's Office at 978.934.2550.
The Graduate School of Education (GSE) is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) , and is one of the region's leading providers of graduate-level programs in education.
The University of Massachusetts is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).
Did you know?
University of Massachusetts has earned several awards for its distance learning programs, faculty and technology including:
- University of Massachusetts Lowell’s B.S. in Information Technology Ranked Among Top Affordable Online IT Degrees by Get Educated in 2011
- UMass Ranked Among Top 10 Best Colleges in Online Education in Communication & Public Relations Degrees, 2011 by The Best Colleges
- UMass ranks 19th highest-rated university in the world by the Times of London.
- UMass ranked 56th in the Times of London's Top 200
- UMassOnline, UMass Boston President's Special Achievement Award, Valerie C. Haven, Sloan-C 2010 Awards
- University of Massachusetts Ranked Among Top 28 Best Value in Online Education for Human Services & Psychology Professionals, 2009 by Get Educated
- Ranked Top 10 Online Degrees Colleges- September 2009 (Online Degree Reviews.com)
- UMassOnline Awarded Public Sector of the Year by Mass Technology Leadership Council , 2008
- Most Outstanding Online Teaching and Learning Program, UMass Lowell's Online Graduate Behavioral Intervention in Autism Program, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- 'Excellence in Online Teaching' Award, Dr. Jeannette E. Riley, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- 21st Century Best Practices Award, United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA)
- Program of Excellence, University Continuing Education Association (UCEA)-Journalism Certificate
- Excellence in Faculty Development, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Programming, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Teaching, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- UMass Amherst Isenberg MBA, Top 10 national rankings, #4 Best Professors (2005, 2006, 2007 Princeton Review: Best Business Schools rankings)
- 4th in Primary Care Education, U.S. World Reports
- Excellence in Distance Teaching Education - United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA)&
Admission to the Ed.S. degree program requires that an applicant hold a master's degree in education from an accredited college or university or a master's degree in a closely related field of study, with a cumulative grade point average of not less than 3.0. Additionally, applicants should have at least three years of full-time experience in a K-12 school or a related setting. Full admission requirements can be found at http://www.uml.edu/grad but include:
The candidate is required to submit:
- An online application
- Application fee
- A 2-3 page statement of purpose explaining the candidate's teaching experience, teaching philosophy and reason for seeking to enroll in a program that focuses on diverse populations.
- All official transcripts
- TOEFL scores if appropriate
- Three letters of recommendation - one of which should be from a senior administrator in the applicant's place of work.
- Proof of professional teaching status or GRE scores (general test)
Submit all required items to:
University of Massachusetts Lowell
Office of Graduate Admissions
Cumnock Hall, Suite 110
One University Avenue
Lowell, MA 01854-5130
Financial aid maybe available to matriculated students enrolled in 6 or more credits per semester. You may contact the Financial Assistance Office at 978-934-4220 for more information.
• An advanced-level graduate degree for teachers and educational leaders engaged in K-12 curriculum development and culturally responsive pedagogy.
• UMass Lowell's Graduate School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
• Highly interactive courses are taught by the University's Graduate School of Education faculty and are designed specifically for professional educators.