UMass Boston’s Sustainable Marine Aquaculture Certificate focuses on preparing you to successfully address key issues and challenges facing the aquaculture industry to ensure sustained growth. It’s designed for professionals already working in the field, students who are looking to gain additional industry expertise, and individuals trying to break into the aquaculture industry who want to hone their skills and add a certification to their resume.
Learn the business of aquaculture — the breeding, rearing, and harvesting of fish, shellfish, plants, algae, and other organisms in all aquatic environments — and explore ways to make this growing and rapidly expanding industry more sustainable. With an Aquaculture Certificate, you can work in both the private and commercial sectors as an oyster farmer, seaweed cultivator, or processor, or you could work on a fish farm as a technician, general worker, scientist, engineer, or manager. You could also work for a regulatory agency working towards maintaining healthy sustainable practices.
If you’re trying to break into the growing and rapidly expanding aquaculture industry, you’re already working in the field, or you are a student looking to add additional expertise to your resume, sign up to take a course or to declare the certificate program. We offer courses and certificates for academic credit and for continuing education credits. Taking an aquaculture class could also help you secure an internship working outdoors and on the oceans.
All courses in UMass Boston’s Sustainable Marine Aquaculture program are open to the UMass Boston community as well as students from other universities and the public. Our goal is to provide a flexible and accessible introduction to this emerging field and so offer a variety of options to suit your individual needs.
Learn more about this program:
To receive more information and connect with the program manager, please click on inquire now to the right.
Please see Fee Schedule below.
|Type of Fee||Amount|
|Fee per course||$2,250-$3,690|
|Total for course||$2,250-$3,690|
Click here to browse our course listings.
- The credit bearing program consists of three 3-credit courses, or 9 credits. The non-credit bearing program consists of three courses.
- Online tuition is $250 per credit for the non-credit bearing program
- Online tuition is $410 per credit for the credit bearing program.
- Total estimated cost to complete the non-credit bearing program is $2,250.
- Total estimated cost to complete the credit bearing program is $3,690.
- Estimate is based on completing program by minimum duration. Other fees may apply. Request Info to connect with a program representative for further details.
The University of Massachusetts is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE).
How to Register
- Current UMass Boston students register for credit-bearing courses through the WISER system.
- Non-degree students register for credit-bearing courses through One Stop using the non-degree registration form.
- To register for the non-credit certificate or to take a non-credit bearing course, you may register online.