Certificate in Linux/UNIX
More than 300,000 UNIX installations worldwide support over a million users. In comparison with other existing operating systems, UNIX offers more flexibility and a greater set of comprehensive services. Its powerful features permit many users to use one system, and the multitasking capacity allows users to perform several processes at the same time. Its support of open systems architecture, and its unique multitasking features, have made UNIX one of the most popular operating systems today.
The UMass Lowell online Certificate Program in Linux/UNIX is designed for those currently in the computer industry who want to upgrade their skills, and for those with basic computer literacy who want to enter this fast-growing field. The program curriculum combines theory and practical applications.
- Flexibility and Convenience
- Students learn skills that are immediately applicable in the workplace as well as C Programming, the language in which most networking software is written
- Courses in the Linux/UNIX certificate program may be used to satisfy requirements in the Information Technology and Data/Telecommunications Certificate Programs, as well as the Associates and Bachelors degrees in Information Technology.
Learn more about this program:
To receive more information and connect with the program manager, please click on inquire now to the right.
Click here for more information on the Certificate in Linux/UNIX program.
New students register for courses using UMass Lowell's New Student Registration Form. Follow the instructions for registering included on the form. Existing students register for their courses online by logging into the secure Intercampus Student Information System (ISIS).
Please see Fee Schedule below.
|Type of Fee||Amount|
|Fee per credit||$365|
|Registration Fee per semester||$30|
|Returned Check Fee per semester*||$30|
|Late Fee for Non Payment||$50|
|Undergrad Degree Application Fee||$40|
|Total for course**||$1125 (365x3crds. = 1095+ 30 registration fee per sem.)|
*applicable when checks returned unpaid
**Courses can vary from one to six credits; this total represents a standard 3 credit course
For additional registration information, visit UMass Lowell's Division of Online and Continuing Education Website. Registration is administered through UMass Lowell's Registrar's Office. If you have questions regarding registration, please contact the Registrar's Office at 978.934.2550.
The University of Massachusetts is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).
Did you know?
University of Massachusetts has earned several awards for its distance learning programs, faculty and technology including:
- University of Massachusetts Lowell’s B.S. in Information Technology Ranked Among Top Affordable Online IT Degrees by Get Educated in 2011
- UMass Ranked Among Top 10 Best Colleges in Online Education in Communication & Public Relations Degrees, 2011 by The Best Colleges
- UMass ranks 19th highest-rated university in the world by the Times of London.
- UMass ranked 56th in the Times of London's Top 200
- UMassOnline, UMass Boston President's Special Achievement Award, Valerie C. Haven, Sloan-C 2010 Awards
- University of Massachusetts Ranked Among Top 28 Best Value in Online Education for Human Services & Psychology Professionals, 2009 by Get Educated
- Ranked Top 10 Online Degrees Colleges- September 2009 (Online Degree Reviews.com)
- UMassOnline Awarded Public Sector of the Year by Mass Technology Leadership Council , 2008
- Most Outstanding Online Teaching and Learning Program, UMass Lowell's Online Graduate Behavioral Intervention in Autism Program, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- 'Excellence in Online Teaching' Award, Dr. Jeannette E. Riley, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- 21st Century Best Practices Award, United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA)
- Program of Excellence, University Continuing Education Association (UCEA)-Journalism Certificate
- Excellence in Faculty Development, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Programming, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Teaching, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- UMass Amherst Isenberg MBA, Top 10 national rankings, #4 Best Professors (2005, 2006, 2007 Princeton Review: Best
To be considered for acceptance into a certificate or degree program, students must hold a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) Certificate. Division of Online and Continuing Education operates on a rolling admissions basis and each application is reviewed when the student's file is complete. Students must be admitted to a degree or certificate program in order to be eligible for most financial aid.
Admission is competitive - Apply early!
1. Read application form instructions carefully. Click here for the application.
2. Official transcripts of all college, university, or post-secondary schools attended and course descriptions;
3. Official transcript of high school records, or its equivalent (GED certificate), from applicants with no previous college/university experience.
4. Once you have completed the application, send it to the address below.
University of Massachusetts Lowell
Undergraduate Admissions/Online & Continuing Education
University Crossing, Suite 420
220 Pawtucket Street
Lowell MA 01854-2874
5. Academic Counselors and Program Coordinators are available to answer questions regarding programs and the matriculation process. Appointments may be made by calling (978) 934-2474.
6. The application is in a PDF file. Click here for the application. You will need an Acrobat Reader application by Adobe to view and print the application. If you don't have the Acrobat Reader application, you can download the installation from their website for free.
Availability of financial aid varies depending on matriculation and course status. Please check with UMass Lowell's Financial Aid Office to determine eligibility.
For more information or if you have additional questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office at (978) 934-4220 or email email@example.com.
- About Us
- Distance Learning
- Student Services
- Student Login