Offered through the University of Massachusetts Lowell's Graduate School of Education, this program provides a mix of online courses and field experiences. The thirty credit Master of Education Degree in Reading and Language is designed for candidates who hold either an initial or professional teaching license in Elementary Education, English as a second Language, Moderate Disabilities or Early Childhood Education.
A specialized program is also available for Massachusetts teachers who hold an initial Massachusetts teacher license in Elementary Education, English as a Second Language, Moderate Disabilities or Early Childhood Education are eligible for professional licensure.
- Outstanding Faculty
- Flexibility and Convenience
- Two practica in which knowledge and skills are applied
Learn more about this program:
To receive more information and connect with the program manager, please click on inquire now to the right.
Click here for more information on the Master's Degree Program in Reading and Language (M.Ed.) Program.
RESIDENTS OF ARKANSAS, KANSAS AND MINNESOTA
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is not presently accepting applications or registrations for online courses, degrees or certificate programs from residents of Arkansas, Kansas or Minnesota. Due to recent legislative changes the University of Massachusetts Lowell is not seeking state authorization to offer online programs in those states. State and federal laws require colleges and universities to receive state authorization to offer online programs in states other than their own. Current UML students that move their residence to one of these states should contact Catherine_Hamilton@uml.edu in Online and Continuing Education to determine their eligibility to continue their program of study.
New students register for courses using UMass Lowell's New Student Registration Form. Follow the instructions for registering included on the form. Current students register for their courses online by logging into the secure Student Information System (SIS).
Please see Fee Schedule below.
|Type of Fee||Amount|
|Fee per credit||$470|
|Registration Fee per semester||$30|
|Returned Check Fee per semester*||$30|
|Late Fee for Non Payment||$50|
|Total for course**||$1440 (470x3crds. = 1410+ 30 registration fee per sem.)|
For more information on the Master's Degree in Curriculum and Instruction, visit UMass Lowell's Division of Online and Continuing Education Program Information page or email UMass Lowell's Graduate School of Education at email@example.com
*Applicable when checks returned unpaid.
**Courses can vary from one to six credits; this total represents a standard 3 credit course.
For additional registration information, visit UMass Lowell's Division of Online and Continuing Education Website. Registration is administered through UMass Lowell's Registrar's Office. If you have questions regarding registration, please contact the Registrar's Office at 978.934.2550.
The Graduate School of Education (GSE) is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) , and is one of the region's leading providers of graduate-level programs in education.
The University of Massachusetts is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).
Did you know?
University of Massachusetts has earned several awards for its distance learning programs, faculty and technology including:
- University of Massachusetts Lowell’s B.S. in Information Technology Ranked Among Top Affordable Online IT Degrees by Get Educated in 2011
- UMass Ranked Among Top 10 Best Colleges in Online Education in Communication & Public Relations Degrees, 2011 by The Best Colleges
- UMass ranks 19th highest-rated university in the world by the Times of London.
- UMass ranked 56th in the Times of London’s Top 200
- UMassOnline, UMass Boston President’s Special Achievement Award, Valerie C. Haven, Sloan-C 2010 Awards
- University of Massachusetts Ranked Among Top 28 Best Value in Online Education for Human Services & Psychology Professionals, 2009 by Get Educated
- Ranked Top 10 Online Degrees Colleges- September 2009 (Online Degree Reviews.com)
- UMassOnline Awarded Public Sector of the Year by Mass Technology Leadership Council , 2008
- Most Outstanding Online Teaching and Learning Program, UMass Lowell's Online Graduate Behavioral Intervention in Autism Program, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- 'Excellence in Online Teaching' Award, Dr. Jeannette E. Riley, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- 21st Century Best Practices Award, United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA)
- Program of Excellence, University Continuing Education Association (UCEA)-Journalism Certificate
- Excellence in Faculty Development, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Programming, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Teaching, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- UMass Amherst Isenberg MBA, Top 10 national rankings, #4 Best Professors (2005, 2006, 2007 Princeton Review: Best Business Schools rankings)
- 4th in Primary Care Education, U.S. World Reports
- Excellence in Distance Teaching Education - United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA)
Admission is competitive - Apply early!
1. Read application form instructions carefully and complete form. Click here for the application (online or pdf format).
2. On a separate sheet of paper, submit a brief, carefully worded statement indicating your immediate and long-range goals, relevant work history, academic honors/awards received, any teaching experience and/or research conducted/published that may be pertinent to your graduate program. [two-page maximum recommended]
3. Download this form and make three (3) copies of it. You are required to send three (3) letters of recommendation. They should be from instructors who have taught you, ideally in the field to which you are applying. Recommendations may also be from employers or supervisors who are in a position to compare your performance to that of your peers. Recommendation letters should be signed & sealed in envelopes by the referees and mailed to the Graduate School Admissions Office, UMass Lowell, with the other application materials.
4. Provide a complete and official transcript with appropriate degrees awarded in a sealed envelope. Include transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended. These should be sent in sealed & signed envelopes. If you received your degree from UMass Lowell, it is not necessary for you to request a transcript from the UMass Lowell Registrar's Office.
5. If you are applying for Financial Aid, please fill out the FAFSA form at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
For additional information on the application process for UMass Lowell's Online Graduate degrees and certificates, visit http://www.uml.edu/grad/.
Submit all required items to:
University of Massachusetts Lowell
Office of Graduate Admissions
Cumnock Hall, Suite 110
One University Avenue
Lowell, MA 01854-5130
Availability of financial aid varies depending on matriculation and course status. Please check with UMass Lowell's Financial Aid Office to determine eligibility.
For more information or if you have additional questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office at (978) 934-4220 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.