Cybersecurity is an increasingly important concern for government agencies, defense contractors, bio-tech research firms, and numerous other business entities that are concerned with the protection of their information capital.
UMass Lowell's Master of Science Degree in Security Studies: Cyber Security Concentration provides students with a deeper understanding of computer network security for both private and government-run organizations.
This 10-course master's degree program offers students a unique combination of graduate-level courses in two distinct disciplines: criminal justice and information technology. The core criminal justice courses provide students with the opportunity to study contemporary issues in security management and cyber crime trends. The information technology electives allow students the flexibility to choose from a broad array of computer and network security topics such as managing virtual systems, cloud computing, and digital forensics.
Courses are available throughout the year, during the Fall, Spring and Summer semesters, and you can take one course each semester or a number of courses a semester, depending upon your own personal time constraints.
- World-Renowned Faculty in Terrorism Studies, Criminology, Science, Engineering and Information Technology
- UMass Lowell’s online programs have won numerous national awards for excellence.
- Research Opportunities with UMass Lowell's Center for Terrorism and Security Studies
Learn more about this program:
To receive more information and connect with the program manager, please click on inquire now to the right.
Sample a Course
Click here for more information on the UMass Lowell's Master of Science in Security Studies: Cyber Security Concentration.
RESIDENTS OF ARKANSAS, KANSAS AND MINNESOTA
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is not presently accepting applications or registrations for online courses, degrees or certificate programs from residents of Arkansas, Kansas or Minnesota. Due to recent legislative changes the University of Massachusetts Lowell is not seeking state authorization to offer online programs in those states. State and federal laws require colleges and universities to receive state authorization to offer online programs in states other than their own. Current UML students that move their residence to one of these states should contact Catherine_Hamilton@uml.edu in Online and Continuing Education to determine their eligibility to continue their program of study.
New students register for courses using UMass Lowell's New Student Non-Degree Course Registration Form. Follow the instructions for registering included on the form. Current students register for their courses online by logging into the secure Student Information System (SIS).
Please see Fee Schedule below.
|Type of Fee||Amount|
|Fee per credit||$575|
|Registration Fee per semester||$30|
|Graduate Degree Application Fee||$50|
|First Year Graduate Student Services Fee||$200|
|Returned Check Fee per Semester||$30|
|Total for course**||$1,755 (575 x 3crds. = 1,725 + 30 registration fee per sem.)|
*Applicable when checks returned unpaid.
**Courses can vary from one to six credits; this total represents a standard 3 credit course.
For additional registration information, visit UMass Lowell's Division of Online and Continuing Education Website. If you have questions regarding registration, please contact the Registrar's Office at 978.934.2550.
The University of Massachusetts is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).
Did you know?
University of Massachusetts has earned several awards for its distance learning programs, faculty and technology including:
- University of Massachusetts Lowell’s B.S. in Information Technology Ranked Among Top Affordable Online IT Degrees by Get Educated in 2011
- UMass Ranked Among Top 10 Best Colleges in Online Education in Communication & Public Relations Degrees, 2011 by The Best Colleges
- UMass ranks 19th highest-rated university in the world by the Times of London.
- UMass ranked 56th in the Times of London's Top 200
- University of Massachusetts Ranked Among Top 28 Best Value in Online Education for Human Services & Psychology Professionals, 2009 by Get Educated
- Ranked Top 10 Online Degrees Colleges- September 2009 (Online Degree Reviews.com)
- UMassOnline Awarded Public Sector of the Year by Mass Technology Leadership Council , 2008
- Most Outstanding Online Teaching and Learning Program, UMass Lowell's Online Graduate Behavioral Intervention in Autism Program, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- 'Excellence in Online Teaching' Award, Dr. Jeannette E. Riley, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- 21st Century Best Practices Award, United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA)
- Excellence in Faculty Development, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Programming, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Teaching, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Distance Teaching Education - United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA)
Applications to the Graduate Program in Security Studies are accepted and processed year-round. Students accepted into the program can begin their courses in the Fall, Spring or Summer terms. To be considered for admission to this program, applicants must have earned an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution of higher education, with a final cumulative GPA of at least 3.0. A wide variety of undergraduate degree programs qualify as an appropriate foundation for this master of arts degree, particularly those in the behavioral and social sciences such as political science, sociology, criminal justice, psychology, history, international relations, and many others.
All applicants must submit the following:
- A completed application plus the $50 application fee.
- A statement of purpose
- Letters of recommendation (3)
- Official transcripts
- Official test scores for either the GRE or MAT. Have your official test scores sent to UMass Lowell's Office of Graduate Admissions at the address below. UMass Lowell's school code is 3911.
- International students: Submit your official test results from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam. See Graduate Admissions International Graduate Application Requirements page for additional details.
Please refer to UMass Lowell's Office of Graduate Admissions website for detailed information about each of these requirements.
Submit all required items to:
University of Massachusetts Lowell
Office of Graduate Admissions
Cumnock Hall, Suite 110
One University Avenue
Lowell, MA 01854-5130
Availability of financial aid varies depending on matriculation and course status. Please check with UMass Lowell's Financial Aid Office to determine eligibility.
For more information or if you have additional questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office at (978) 934-4220 or email email@example.com.