UMass Lowell's Online Ed.S. in Reading and Language program is designed to meet the needs of experienced educators who already hold a master's in education in a field other than reading and language, and who wish to extend their knowledge and skills in order to be successful in teaching and assessing issues related to students' reading. This program does not lead to licensure.
Learn More About This Program:
To receive more information and connect with the program manager, please click on Inquire Now to the right.
Click here for more information on UMass Lowell's Education Specialist degree in Reading and Language.
New students register for courses using UMass Lowell's New Student Non-Degree Course Registration Form.
Follow the instructions for registering included on the form. Current students register for their courses online by logging in to the secure Student Information System (SIS).
Please see Fee Schedule below.
|Type of Fee||Amount|
|Fee Per Credit||$470|
|Registration Fee Per Semester||$30|
|Returned Check Fee Per Semester*||$30|
|Graduate Degree Application Fee||$50|
|First Year Graduate Student Services Fee||$200|
|Total for Course**||$1,440 ($470 x 3 credits = $1,410+ $30 registration fee per semester)|
*Applicable when checks are returned unpaid.
**Courses can vary from one to six credits; this total represents a standard three-credit course.
For additional registration information, visit UMass Lowell's Division of Online and Continuing Education website. If you have questions regarding registration, please contact UMass Lowell's Registrar's Office at 978-934-2550.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE).
UMass Lowell's College of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), a national accrediting body for schools, colleges, and departments of education authorized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Did you know?
UMass Lowell has earned several awards for its distance learning programs, faculty and technology including:
- Ranked #8 Best Online Graduate Education programs by U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked #14 Best Value Online Graduate Education program by ValueColleges.com
- Ranked #32 Best Online Master's in Education by Teach Tomorrow
- Most Outstanding Online Teaching and Learning Program, UMass Lowell’s Online Graduate Behavioral Intervention in Autism Program, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards
- 21st Century Best Practices Award, United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA)
- Excellence in Faculty Development, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Programming, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Teaching, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Distance Teaching Education, United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA)
- A number of UMass Lowell online courses have received Blackboard's National Catalyst Awards for Exemplary Online Courses
Applications can be completed and submitted at any time during the year. Each application is processed, and each applicant is notified, as soon as all admissions materials are received and reviewed.
Admission to a degree program at the Educational Specialist level requires that an applicant hold a master's degree in education from an accredited college or university or a master's degree in a closely related field of study, with a cumulative grade point average of not less than 3.0. Additionally, applicants should have at least five years of full-time experience in a K-12 school or a related setting. Full admission requirements include:
- Online application and fee
- Two-page statement in which you describe your educational philosophy and reasons for seeking entry to the degree
- Three letters of recommendation
- Proof of professional teaching status or GRE scores (general test)
- All official transcripts
- TOEFL scores if appropriate
Please refer to UMass Lowell's Office of Graduate Admissions website for more detailed information.
Submit all required items to:
Office of Graduate Admissions
University of Massachusetts Lowell
1 University Ave, Suite 110
Lowell, MA 01854-5130
Availability of financial aid varies depending on matriculation and course status. Please check with UMass Lowell's Financial Aid Office to determine eligibility.
For more information or if you have additional questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 978-934-4220 or visit