The Graduate Online Certificate in Public Management exposes students to the essential principles of public management within the context of public policy. Students learn about the foundation of policy development and public management. From this foundation students choose from a variety of electives that focus on areas which include state and local public finance, regional economic development, program evaluation and other aspects critical to public management.
A completed graduate certificate waives the GRE requirement for those considering application to the Master of Public Policy (MPP) Program. In addition, each class counted towards the graduate certificate will be accepted into the MPP program (for certificate holders who apply and are accepted into the MPP program) so as long as the student earned a 3.0 (B average) or higher in the course.
Learn more about this program:
To receive more information and connect with the program manager, please click on inquire now to the right.
Click here for more information on the online Graduate Certificate in Public Management.
ALABAMA, ARKANSAS, KANSAS, MARYLAND, and MINNESOTA RESIDENTS: UMass Dartmouth does not presently consider applications for online degree or certificate programs from applicants whose permanent residence is in Alabama, Arkansas, Kansas, Maryland or Minnesota because of the regulations resulting from legislation in these states. For details about regulations in your state that may affect your enrollment in an online program offered by another state, you may wish to consult your state's Department of Education and/or learn about efforts of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements at http://nc-sara.org/. If you are a resident of Alabama, Arkansas, Kansas, Maryland, or Minnesota, UMass Dartmouth welcomes your application to a face-to-face program only.
Registration is administered through University Extension at UMass Dartmouth. Students will be invoiced. Please see Fee Schedule below.
|Type of Fee||Amount|
|Technology Fee per course||$150|
|Library Access Fee||$18|
|Registration Fee (per semester)||$30|
|Total for a three credit course*||$1860|
Click here to browse our course listings.
* Courses can vary from one to six credits; this total represents a standard 3 credit course
The University of Massachusetts is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).
University of Massachusetts has earned several awards for its distance learning programs, faculty and technology including:
- University of Massachusetts Lowell’s B.S. in Information Technology Ranked Among Top Affordable Online IT Degrees by Get Educated in 2011
- UMass Ranked Among Top 10 Best Colleges in Online Education in Communication & Public Relations Degrees, 2011 by The Best Colleges
- UMass ranks 19th highest-rated university in the world by the Times of London.
- UMass ranked 56th in the Times of London’s Top 200
- UMassOnline, UMass Boston President’s Special Achievement Award, Valerie C. Haven, Sloan-C 2010 Awards
- University of Massachusetts Ranked Among Top 28 Best Value in Online Education for Human Services & Psychology Professionals, 2009 by Get Educated
- Ranked Top 10 Online Degrees Colleges- September 2009 (Online Degree Reviews.com)
- UMassOnline Awarded Public Sector of the Year by Mass Technology Leadership Council , 2008
- Most Outstanding Online Teaching and Learning Program, UMass Lowell’s Online Graduate Behavioral Intervention in Autism Program, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- ‘Excellence in Online Teaching’ Award, Dr. Jeannette E. Riley, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- 21st Century Best Practices Award, United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA)
- Program of Excellence, University Continuing Education Association (UCEA)-Journalism Certificate
- Excellence in Faculty Development, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Programming, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Teaching, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- UMass Amherst Isenberg MBA, Top 10 national rankings, #4 Best Professors (2005, 2006, 2007 Princeton Review: Best Business Schools rankings)
- 4th in Primary Care Education, U.S. World Reports
- Excellence in Distance Teaching Education - United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA)
1. Earned Baccalaureate Degree
All applicants to the Graduate Certificate in Public Management must have an earned baccalaureate degree from an accredited 4-year college or university in the United States or comparable non-U.S. degree/diploma from a recognized foreign institution of higher education at the time of matriculation. A copy of official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended, undergraduate and graduate, must be submitted as part of the application process. Applicants may hold a degree in any field.
2. Graduate School Application for US Citizens/International Applicants
All applicants must complete and submit UMass Dartmouth's Graduate School Application online for a fee of $60.00.
3. Statement of Purpose (Essay)
All applicants are required to submit an essay of 400-500 words explaining their interest in the program and purpose for applying to the program. The essay should include the applicant's previous public management experience in theory and practice, as well as future intentions for practical application of learning outcomes from the program.
4. Current resume or a curriculum vitae
5. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth does not require a TOEFL from U.S. citizens or citizens of countries where English is the official language (i.e., Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa). Applicants whose native language in not English must demonstrate proficiency. English proficiency can be demonstrated by taking the TOEFL, which is administered worldwide. TOEFL scores are valid for five years from the date of anticipated matriculation in the EPCP. This requirement is waived only for those who had English as their primary language for secondary school or college instruction or who have successfully completed one year of advanced secondary school or college/university study in the U.S. A minimum TOEFL score of 72 is required on the Internet-Based Test (IBT), and a minimum score of 533 is required for the Paper-Based Test (PBT). For information about testing locations and dates, contact the Educational Testing Service, Rosedale Road, Princeton, NJ 08541 USA, 609-921-9000 (phone), or www.toefl.org. ETS must report official scores to us, using UMass Dartmouth’s school code (3786).
POL500 Public Institutions and the Policy Process
POL510 Public Management
Electives are chosen from five courses. Choose two (2) electives from the following list:
POL 531 - Program Evaluation
POL 536 - Regional Economic Development Policy
POL 541 - State and Local Public Finance
POL 611 - Administrative Law*
POL 661 - Environmental Law
Click here for more information on the curriculum.
* Note on POL611 Administrative Law: Certificate students wishing to apply to the Master of Public Policy (MPP) Program beginning Fall 2014 and after completion of the certificate must apply this course to the core course requirements of the MPP. This will necessitate students taking another concentration course in order to satisfy the MPP requirements.
Availability of financial aid varies depending on matriculation and course status. Please check with your program manager or advisor to determine your eligibility. Generally, if you are matriculated in a degree program and are enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits each semester, you may qualify for financial aid.
Students who are admitted to the program should review our Financial Aid Checklist, and fill ill out the FAFSA form at www.fafsa.ed.gov. It is important to list the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth school code number 002210.
- Please renew your FAFSA form every year.
- When you register for classes, please contact the Professional and Continuing Education at UMass Dartmouth at (508) 999-9202 to let them know you have applied/are applying for financial aid.
For more information or if you have further questions, please contact UMass Dartmouth Financial Aid Office at (508) 999-8632 or at email@example.com.