The Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) is a 39-credit doctoral program at UMass Boston's College of Nursing and Health Sciences, open to all applicants holding a Master's degree in Nursing with preparation as a nurse practitioner or clinical nurse specialist, as well as those holding an MS in Nursing and certified as a nurse midwife or nurse anesthetist.
The College of Nursing and Health Sciences is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
Learn more about this program:
To receive more information and connect with the program manager, please click on inquire now to the right.
Click here for more information on the Doctor of Nursing Practice Program.
RESIDENTS OF ALABAMA, ALASKA, ARKANSAS, COLORADO, LOUISIANA, MARYLAND, MINNESOTA, NEW YORK, NORTH CAROLINA, OREGON, VIRGINIA (WITH SOME EXCEPTION), AND WASHINGTON :
The University of Massachusetts Boston is currently not accepting students for online study who reside in Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Virginia (with some exception), and Washington due to regulations in those states.
Registration is administered through College of Advancing and Professional Studies at UMass Boston. Payment is due upon registration. Please see Fee Schedule below.
|Type of Fee||Amount|
|Fee per credit||$475.00|
|Total for course||$1470 ($475x3 credits = $1425) + $45 Registration Fee per semester.|
New Student Fee: $345.00 - in 2 parts
Application Fee: $ 40.00
Clinical Lab Fee: $ 55.00 per clinical course
The University of Massachusetts is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).
Did you know?
University of Massachusetts has earned several awards for its distance learning programs, faculty and technology including:
- University of Massachusetts Lowell’s B.S. in Information Technology Ranked Among Top Affordable Online IT Degrees by Get Educated in 2011
- UMass Ranked Among Top 10 Best Colleges in Online Education in Communication & Public Relations Degrees, 2011 by The Best Colleges
- UMass ranks 19th highest-rated university in the world by the Times of London.
- UMass ranked 56th in the Times of London's Top 200
- UMassOnline, UMass Boston President's Special Achievement Award, Valerie C. Haven, Sloan-C 2010 Awards
- University of Massachusetts Ranked Among Top 28 Best Value in Online Education for Human Services & Psychology Professionals, 2009 by Get Educated
- Ranked Top 10 Online Degrees Colleges- September 2009 (Online Degree Reviews.com)
- UMassOnline Awarded Public Sector of the Year by Mass Technology Leadership Council , 2008
- Most Outstanding Online Teaching and Learning Program, UMass Lowell's Online Graduate Behavioral Intervention in Autism Program, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- 'Excellence in Online Teaching' Award, Dr. Jeannette E. Riley, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- 21st Century Best Practices Award, United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA)
- Program of Excellence, University Continuing Education Association (UCEA)-Journalism Certificate
- Excellence in Faculty Development, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Programming, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Teaching, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- UMass Amherst Isenberg MBA, Top 10 national rankings, #4 Best Professors (2005, 2006, 2007 Princeton Review: Best Business Schools rankings)
- 4th in Primary Care Education, U.S. World Reports
- Excellence in Distance Teaching Education - United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA)
Applicants to the post master's DNP degree program must meet the entrance requirements of the University of Massachusetts Graduate Program and the College of Nursing and Health Sciences. Each applicant will be a graduate of a nationally accredited school of nursing, demonstrate a master's degree in nursing and demonstrate a GPA of 3.0 or higher in the baccalaureate degree and a 3.2 in master's degree program of study, with a Science GPA of 3.0 or higher in the baccalaureate and/or master's degree program of study.
Interested applicants not holding a national certification as an APRN may be eligible to apply to the post master's NP /.CNS program in order to obtain the necessary courses and clinical experience necessary to site for the national certification exam.
Applicants must submit the following documentation:
1. official transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate programs attended
2. 3 letters of recommendation from health professionals describing professional nursing experience, leadership ability, and/or scholarly achievements
3. scholarly abstract of a completed project or academic paper of no more than 300 words
4. 500-word professional goal statement including five career objectives
5. professional resume
6. registered nurse license
7. TOEFL scores if needed
8. evidence of professional certification
9. a portfolio review will be required for those applicants not holding national certification as an NP or a CNS
Application Deadlines: November 1st and April 1st
A personal interview with faculty may be required.
The DNP Program can be completed in three years full-time. All didactic courses are online only, with clinical internships in your work healthcare organization. Students will develop a program in collaboration with their program advisor that best meets their work and study needs while in keeping with the prerequisite course requirements. Click here to see an overview of our part-time, online DNP Program of Study- designed for the working Nurse Practitioner. Please click here for more course specific plan of study details - get started in the program!
Availability of financial aid varies depending on matriculation and course status. Please check with your program manager or advisor to determine your eligibility. Generally, if you are matriculated in a degree program and are enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits each semester, you may qualify for financial aid. Please review our Financial Aid Checklist below.
- Fill out the FAFSA form at www.fafsa.ed.gov. It is important to list the University of Massachusetts Boston school code number 002222.
- Next, download your required Financial Aid Forms here.
- Check your financial aid status using WISER.
- For more information or if you have further questions, please contact Financial Aid Services at 617.287.6300 or at email@example.com
For more information or if you have further questions, please contact Financial Aid Services at 617.287.6300 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.