The Online Master of Arts in History offers a rigorous set of required and elective courses, along with supervised research and writing projects. Both demanding and flexible, the Online History MA is designed to appeal to students with a wide variety of interests and professional goals.
All courses in the program will be taught by tenure-stream faculty in the History Department. Students accepted into the Online History MA will take all of their classes online.
The focus of the Online MA curriculum is Modern US and European history, though courses will also be offered in non-Western and Early Modern areas as well.
This program should be taken by:
- Secondary school teachers who wish to improve their content knowledge in the field of history or need an MA for licensure, certification or promotion;
- Who want to test their capacity for graduate work beyond their undergraduate studies;
- Considering Law School;
- Considering careers in journalism and media;
- Considering careers in public humanities;
- Considering careers that require writing and research;
- Interested in going on to a PhD;
- Interested in teaching at the primary or secondary levels;
- Living beyond commuting distance from UMass Boston.
Learn more about this program:
To receive more information and connect with the program manager, please click on inquire now to the right.
Visit the UMass Boston website to learn more about earning your online Master of Arts in History.
Please see Fee Schedule below.
|Type of Fee||Amount|
|Fee per credit||$575|
|Returned Check Fee per semester**||$28|
|Total for course***||$1,725 (575 x 3 credits = 1725)|
Click here to browse our course listings.
*applicable when you register after deadline; non-refundable unless course has been cancelled
** applicable when checks returned unpaid
*** Courses can vary from one to six credits; this total represents a standard 3 credit course
The University of Massachusetts is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE).
Did you know?
University of Massachusetts has earned several awards for its distance learning programs, faculty and technology including:
- University of Massachusetts Lowell's B.S. in Information Technology Ranked Among Top Affordable Online IT Degrees by Get Educated in 2011
- UMass Ranked Among Top 10 Best Colleges in Online Education in Communication & Public Relations Degrees, 2011 by The Best Colleges
- UMass ranks 19th highest-rated university in the world by the Times of London.
- UMass ranked 56th in the Times of London's Top 200
- UMassOnline, UMass Boston President's Special Achievement Award, Valerie C. Haven, Sloan-C 2010 Awards
- University of Massachusetts Ranked Among Top 28 Best Value in Online Education for Human Services & Psychology Professionals, 2009 by Get Educated
- Ranked Top 10 Online Degrees Colleges- September 2009 (Online Degree Reviews.com)
- UMassOnline Awarded Public Sector of the Year by Mass Technology Leadership Council , 2008
- Most Outstanding Online Teaching and Learning Program, UMass Lowell's Online Graduate Behavioral Intervention in Autism Program, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- 'Excellence in Online Teaching' Award, Dr. Jeannette E. Riley, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- 21st Century Best Practices Award, United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA)
- Program of Excellence, University Continuing Education Association (UCEA)-Journalism Certificate
- Excellence in Faculty Development, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Programming, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Teaching, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- UMass Amherst Isenberg MBA, Top 10 national rankings, #4 Best Professors (2005, 2006, 2007 Princeton Review: Best Business Schools rankings)
- 4th in Primary Care Education, U.S. World Reports
- Excellence in Distance Teaching Education
To apply for admission to a graduate study at UMass Boston, you must hold a bachelor’s degree from a U.S. institution of recognized standing, or an international equivalent.
Admission criteria include:
- Graduate Application: Apply Online or Download application
- Non-refundable Application Fee ($60 for domestic applicants and $100 for international applicants)
- Official Transcripts: You must submit official transcripts from all institutions attended, even if you were not awarded a degree.
- Applicable Test Scores: Refer to your intended graduate program of study to determine which test scores are required.
- Letters of Recommendation: Applicants must submit three letters of recommendation from former teachers familiar with the applicant's recent academic work, or from employers familiar with his or her professional ability.
- Statement of Purpose: The statement of purpose is your opportunity to show the graduate admissions committee your reasons for wishing to pursue graduate study, as well as your specific interests and goals. Be sure to check with your intended program of study to ensure you correctly complete the statement of purpose.
- Program Specific Requirements: Many programs have additional requirements. Please check with your intended graduate program of study to ensure that you submit a complete application.
Most materials may be uploaded via the Online Application, or can be mailed to:
Office of Graduate Admissions
University of Massachusetts Boston
100 Morrissey Boulevard
Boston, MA 02125-3393
Documents other than transcripts and test scores may also be sent as an attachment to: GAdocs@umb.edu.
The Online Master of Arts in History consists of 30 credits:
- HIST 600: Research Methods (3 credits)
- HIST 605: Introduction to Historiography (3 credits)
- HIST 690: Thesis Preparation (3 credits)
- HIST 699: Thesis (6 credits)
- Five History electives
Availability of financial aid varies depending on matriculation and course status. Please check with your program manager or advisor to determine your eligibility. Generally, if you are matriculated in a degree program and are enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits each semester, you may qualify for financial aid. Please review our Financial Aid Checklist below.
- Fill out the FAFSA form at www.fafsa.ed.gov. It is important to list the University of Massachusetts Boston school code number 002222.
- Next, download your required Financial Aid Forms here.
- Check your financial aid status using WISER.
- For more information or if you have further questions, please contact Financial Aid Services at 617.287.6300 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information or if you have further questions, please contact Financial Aid Services at 617.287.6300 or at email@example.com.